I have been doing some research to see how easy or hard it is to get old unwanted books. So far it has been pretty easy. One tip is to give your friends a few days to gather their unwanted books.
I asked a couple of friends and got 2 bags of books. It is interesting to get all types of books from kids, to self-help and how to and all types of fiction.
I got some:
- hard covered books
- lots of paperbacks
- some kids books with larger fonts
- young children board books
- color illustrated books
These are different than the kinds of books that I would choose at a library book sale, but they still have the potential to inspire some new art making activities.
Each type of book has a different quality that makes it interesting for making art.
- Children’s board books are great for covers and accordion books
- Young readers books have larger print and are nice for collaged poems
- Paper back books might be good for folding and curling project
If you are inspired and want to repurpose some old books, then join us in the online art class Book as Art Materials. Read the details and sign up today. Class starts February 16th.
This is a tiny pocket sized board book. I cut off 2 sections. Sanded the pages and covered them with some monotype prints.
Join us in the next class Books as ART Materials.