Stencils are not just for printmakers. Actually they are a great way to get into printmaking.
Stencils can be used by:
- Fiber artists who want to create patterns or designs on fabric
- Book artists who make decorative pages
- Mixed media artists to create layers and focus
- Card makers to create unique images
- Teachers and homeschoolers who want to empower kids to make marks
The main idea behind stencil creation is to control the transfer of ink or paint to create a bold image. Images are generally simplified into shapes and shadows.
One way to approach stencil making is to create and use simple stencils first. And then create more complex images as skills develop.
Check out the details of the Make Stencils Workshop, the online art making class. Starts March 6th. Join us today.