Are you an impromptu printmaker? What types of printmaking processes lend itself to spontaneous printmaking?
With traditional printmaking there is planning the image, reversing the images, creating the plate or matrix, preparing the paper, working up the inks, set the press, organizing the blankets, setting up the drying racks and you have not even started to print yet.
I would describe myself as an impromptu printmaker. All that planning and preparation is just not my style. As I was walking around the lake today, I was listing the printmaking processes that are a little more spontaneous:
- Relief stamping can be quick
- Stencil with found object is fast
- Monotype printing without a press
- Some types screen printing (thermofax) can be quick
- Trace monoprint is probably the fastest
How about you? Do you like careful planning or do like to make marks quickly, spontaneously or as inspired?