“Gelatin” Plates that I have:
- Gelatin and Water Plate – how instructions here
- Gelatin, glycerin, Alcohol and Water – Instructions here
- Gelli Plate – Purchase here
Inks/Paints I am using:
- Speedball water based inks
- Daniel Smith water-soluble inks
- Golden Open Acrylics
My gelatin and water printing plate was very old and on its last leg so I had to toss it and now I am waiting for a new one to harden in the refrigerator.
I will have to do a video of this comparison experiment some time soon. All that I can say at this point is that
- with each variant, you will have a different type of impression/monotype print.
- weather is a factor for most the material plates and inks/paints
- I will probably never have a definitive answer, so
- It will come down to using what I have available at the time and
- the desired type of impression that I am hoping to create.
I will always love the quality and richness of the Daniel Smith Inks, but I am sensitive to the oil in them. The print above was made with the Daniel Smith water-soluble inks and the gelli plate.
Sign up for the newsletter here to stay informed.